This printer is based on the design of the Prusa I3 model which has been modified to provide a sturdier structure by incorporating a precision laser cut Medite MDF case to support and conceal the mechanics & electronics. It also comes in Glass-effect Acrylic.
It incorporates many enhancements to the original Prusa design by incorporating T3DT design additions such as the Universal Filament Reel Holder and Heated bed. Also includes the Reprap LCD display and control panel along with SD card support and USB connection to PC or Laptop.
Main features & enhancements for a fully built printer include:
- Sturdy & correctly aligned MDF frame – No bed levelling required!
- Print Bed size 200 x 200 x 200 mm
- LCD display & control panel
- SD card support
- USB connection
- Universal Reel Holder – adjustable reel holder to accommodate different width reels
- Heated bed & cooling fan
- Polycarbonate easy slide out bed cover enabling easily removal of prints based on our heated bed design here
- Ribbon Cable plug & play connections & boards – easy to set up!
- 3D printed & JHead extruder parts (both V5 & V6 can be used)
- Easy assemble with fix it blocks, screws & nuts
- Include free toolkit!
- Open Source firmware provided (based on Marlin)
- Can be used with any Open Source PC 3D printing software.
- Height: 450 mm
- Width: 450 mm
- Depth: 450 mm
Released October 2014
All hardware, software and electronics are complete.
Software is based on Marlin provided on purchase.
Has been tested printing with ABS, PLA & NinjaFlex.
Documentation & downloads are currently a work in progress .. but coming soon!
Shortlist of components used for this project include:
- 4mm or 6mm MDF and Glass-effect Acrylic Laser cut with precision
- Uses Arduino Mega / Ramps Board
- Reprap LCD display
- JHead extruder and 3D printed extruder parts (based on Mendel design)
- Opto endstops
- 8 mm Linear Bearings
- GT2 aliminium pulleys & belts
- 8 mm Stainless Steel bar, 5mm screw rod (z-axis)
- 4 & 3 mm screws & nuts
- 3 mm brass PCB standoffs
- 8 mm bolts
- White fixit blocks, screws & nuts
- Tie wraps.
How it works
- Easy assembly – looking at two options one with fixit blocks, screws & nuts. Possibly pop rivets for fully built machines.
- Polycarbonate Heated Bed For easy print removal
- Consistently Proven Low cost 3D printer build The aim will be to source reasonably priced materials to make an affordable yet cost effective printer that works everytime.
- Universal design The design will be such that components can be interchanged easily i.e. electronics, printed parts, easy to remove extruder for maintenance & cleaning, enabling 3D printer kit customisation,
- SD & USB support with LCD display – no need to connect to PC or Laptop
Coming soon to this section …
- Printer Laser cutting drawings
- Build instructions
- Open source software downloads